Wednesday 16 September 2015

Singapore Tune - Post GE2015

In the fallout from GE2015, may I offer this oldie.

Start at 0:40





Many’s the time I’ve been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and I’ve often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
Oh, but I’m all right, I’m all right
I’m just weary to my bones
Still, you don’t expect to be
Bright and bon vivant
So far away from home, so far away from home
I don’t know a soul who’s not been battered
I don’t have a friend who feels at ease
I don’t know a dream that’s not been shattered
Or driven to its knees
Oh, but it’s all right, it’s all right
For we've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
We’re traveling on
I wonder what's gone wrong
I can’t help it, I wonder what’s gone wrong
And I dreamed I was dying
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
High above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was crying
Oh, we come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age’s most uncertain hour
And sing an American tune
Oh, it’s all right, it’s all right
It’s all right, it’s all right
You can’t be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow’s going to be another working day
And I’m trying to get some rest
That’s all I’m trying to get some rest
© 1973 Words and Music by Paul Simon

Maybe you are glad the PAP won big.

Maybe you are frantic that democracy has died in Singapore (or at least suffered a setback).

Maybe you think this was the best thing to have happened. Or close to it.

Maybe you think this was the worst that could happen. Or close to it.

Maybe the results of this GE revives your faith in your fellow Singaporeans.

Maybe it makes you question the intelligence, maturity, and wisdom of your fellow Singaporeans.

Maybe you wonder how life can go on after this.

Maybe you're thinking, "now we can get on with our lives".

Whatever your response is to the results of this election, may you see that this was democracy at work.

When the people turned towards the opposition in 2011, it was the best outcome possible. Because that is democracy.

Similarly, in GE2015, when the people turned towards the PAP after considering everything pertinent and significant to them, it was not just the best outcome possible, it was the ONLY outcome possible for democracy.

Because that is what democracy is about - the will of the people. That means you argue, you debate, and at the end of the debate (and there must be an end or at least a pause), you decide. And then whatever the decision, you live with it. Because in a real democracy, no one will get EXACTLY what they want, but what they get is a mash-up of the collective will of the people. And it may not be EXACTLY or COMPLETELY what you want, or even what you want at all. But it would be the reflection of the will of the people, you should be able to live with it.

You will wake up the next day, and it will be "another working day", and life goes on.

Because if you cannot live with the collective decision of a democracy, then the simple conclusion is you cannot live with democracy.

And if you decide that democracy sucks, well, prepare for armed revolution and may the Force be with you. The police force that is.

Many’s the time I’ve been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and I’ve often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
Oh, but I’m all right, I’m all right
I’m just weary to my bones
I don’t know a soul who’s not been battered
I don’t have a friend who feels at ease
I don’t know a dream that’s not been shattered
Or driven to its knees
Oh, but it’s all right, it’s all right
For we've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
We’re traveling on
I wonder what went wrong
I can’t help it, I wonder what’s gone wrong
Oh, it’s all right, it’s all right
It’s all right, it’s all right
You can’t be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow’s going to be another working day
And I’m trying to get some rest
That’s all I’m trying to get some rest


No comments: